I’ve never said I was perfect, but hopefully I limit my mistakes. One mistake I’m hoping to avoid is to become annoying with my business use of social media updates.
If you engage in social media to help build your business, keep these tips in mind to augment your business versus turning people away:
- Make your blogs or updates relevant to your customers. Will the information in the message truly help them? Do you provide links to outside experts that can help them?
- Don’t make your messages too long. Just like any other form of advertising, you are fighting against limited attention spans. You have 3 seconds to make an impression and keep the customer engaged.
- If you are trying to create a two-way conversation with Twitter updates or Facebook postings, don’t ask too many “canned” questions. If you aren’t getting responses or feedback to your questions, then they are irrelevant to your followers.
- Watch the news for stories in your industry. Post links to these stories. Ask what your readers think about the stories.
- Create an offer just for your followers; let them know you appreciate their interest and business.
- Follow and comment on your clients postings. Don’t expect them to be engaged with your social updates if you ignore theirs. Remember, it’s a two-way relationship.
If you need any help with your social media strategy, let me know. I’d be happy to give you feedback.